background

Thursday, January 27, 2011

Bucket List...

Oh no, you don't get to see it. That's for my eyes only, but I will tell you that #21 is "Write something that everyone can see," which is why this blog thing is happening. I get a heady sense of achievement every time I get to mark something off the list, and this one is likely to give me some real trouble someday. You see, I love to write. I have about 5 unfinished novels on my computer right now, the operative word being "unfinished." I am a terrible fiction writer. They start off so well, with rich detail and dynamic characters, but I always get about 50 pages in and I lose it. 

To counteract this problem, I figure I can just blog. My characters can't get boring because I AM the main character (and I'm never boring), and my plot can't fizzle out because it's just me living my life, which is sure to be interesting as I am currently an unemployed college grad living with my parents (not a drop of sarcasm or bitterness in that statement). 

The title of this blog, "In Search of Gumption..." is inspired by Iris Simpkins, Kate Winslet's character in "The Holiday" because we are in similar life circumstances, and it turned out that all she needed was a spoonful of gumption to get her through it. If it's good enough for Kate Winslet, it's good enough for me. This quest really began on New Year's Eve, so you're a bit late on the uptake, but while I won't take the time to fill you in, I will tell you that I think I'm in marginally better shape than I was in in December. 

In closing I give you this...

 
This is what I wish I were doing right now...dancing in the gardens of Versailles with one of the greatest people on the planet, Jessica Glauber, who is so very far away from me these days. And on this note, I'll make you a deal. I will give everyone a quarter for every time I whine about missing Europe. Maybe poverty will help me to accept the fact that I will NOT be going back for a long while, and I will finally be able to move on and live the American dream, or whatever it is we're supposed to be doing over here. 

Now I'm going to go cross #21 off of my list =)

1 comment:

  1. I am your first follower! Exciting.
    I think if everyone who went abroad and didn't have the resources to go again (and again) gave a quarter we could combat poverty.

    ReplyDelete

Be nice, people.