background

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Planning Ahead...

I would just like to report to everyone that I've got an interview lined up in Columbus, OH for early May and I'm really excited about it! Like I said before, I think it's bad luck to give specifics, but just know that I am very happy. As was pointed out to me the other day by a new Finnish friend, gumption is a choice and not a destination. I realize that, but I will say that when I started this whole quest thing, getting a job was a big factor in my mind when I pictured the end result of this project. I feel like I'm one step closer to accomplishing something here.



As I was doing my research on the Columbus area, I stumbled upon Easton Town Center, a shopping mall of epic proportions. All I ever really wanted out of life was to live within close range of a Norstroms, and it looks like that dream could possibly be fulfilled. And until the day comes that I am able to afford a seasonal wardrobe from there, I will shop at the nearby H&M, which happens to be one of my favorite stores, and I haven't actually been in one since the France days.

The only thing that would make this any better is if there was a Joseph Beth's. There's not, I already checked, but there is one in Cincinnati, and I can't think of a better reason to make that trip.

(PS. I realize that I do not in fact have a job yet, and that I am getting waaaaay ahead of myself, but I enjoy doing this so much. Humor me.)

As for living arrangements, I am thinking of getting a two bedroom apartment and using the second bedroom as a reading room. This means I have a new space to decorate, and the idea is overwhelming. If you have any suggestions for this room, please share. I've yet to find my inspiration.

You know, just the other day, I said to someone that I was a big believe in the power of location, and I went on to give this big speech about how our location plays such a big role in shaping our futures (I took one semester of the Space, Place, and Culture Honors track at UK. I know my stuff). Anyway, this idea is in the forefront of my mind right now as I ponder moving to a different state. As I was doing my nightly reading in Under the Tuscan Sun,  I came across the following passage:

"Southerners have a gene, as yet undetected in the DNA spirals, that causes them to believe that place is fate. Where you are is who you are. The further inside you the place moves, the more your identity is intertwined with it. Never casual, the choice of place is the choice of something you crave."

Are Frances Mayes and I riding the same brain wave, or what! Is this really just a southern thing? Or is this an everyone thing? I don't know. I just thought is was a strange coincidence and vaguely interesting. I love finding real life parallels in my reading. 

2 comments:

  1. You may consider making the second room an official study (you'll work some from home) in lieu of a reading room. Then you could have a nice desk, book shelf, with the nice big chair in the corner with a lamp of course. Actually...I've been wanting a chaise lounge. How awesome would that be for a reading room?

    ReplyDelete
  2. A chaise lounge sounds so fancy!! I'm liking the idea of this study more and more!!!

    ReplyDelete

Be nice, people.