background

Thursday, February 17, 2011

Bon Appetit!

In the last year and a half or so, I have discovered that I absolutely love to cook. I especially enjoy making complicated recipes, the kind that end up being all-day endeavors and have a high risk of failure. I just get the greatest sense of accomplishment when I take this beautiful thing out of the oven and I hear the resulting 'yums' as everyone digs in. It's like winning the science fair.

Another thing I love is Julia Child, and yes, I realize what a cliche it is these days to discuss Julia Child in a blog, but Julie & Julia absolutely fascinating, in my opinion. I love anything that showcases Meryl Streep's incredible acting talents, and I really believe she was at her best in this film. (I sometimes like to speak in a Julia Child voice. It's quite amusing. I'll have to do it for you sometime.) So, I got Mastering the Art of French Cooking Volume 1 last year for Christmas, and I've just had so much fun with it. My favorite recipe I've made so far from it is the iconic boeuf bourguignon, which I made for the second time this evening. It was the first time I made it for an audience, and I have been assured that it was fabulous! I am pleased.

I documented the process...

Don't these ingredients just look yummy!! What I left out, of course, was the whole pack of butter that was used. Okay, maybe it wasn't a whole pack...


This is my new dutch oven, purchased last night, just for this meal. The last time I made it, I was constantly having to switch pots, and it was very annoying. The Dutch oven was a much needed upgrade!


The finished product, which I will admit looks a little gross, but it was absolutely delectable!! Is it rude to say that about your own cooking? I don't care, I'm saying it anyway. It takes me back to France, where all of the signature dishes are very rich and full of bold flavor. That's how food should be.

I would also like to pat myself on the back for opening my first bottle of wine with a corkscrew today. I typically buy the kind with the twist-off caps so I don't have to worry about it, but I accidentally bought a bottle of burgundy with a cork in it this time. Mom and I bought a corkscrew for $2 at Walmart, and then watched an instructional video on Youtube before attempting it. We were successful.

Add this delicious meal to the gorgeous weather today and the much needed chat I had with my best friend this afternoon, and you get a truly delightful day =)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be nice, people.