background

Saturday, February 12, 2011

Very Superstitious

Many of you, over the course of the past year or so, may have noticed me wearing this....




It has now become a permanent fixture in my wardrobe. I haven't taken it off since November 7, 2009, when my parents came to visit me in Paris. We were meandering around the Eiffel Tower, when a Caribbean man, whose name I cannot remember, came up to me and pulled the whole "Hey, can I show you something..." trick on me, stuck a bunch of yarn in my hand and began crafting me a bracelet. Normally I would have dismissed him and ran away, but mommy and daddy were there and they hadn't learned to be rude like the French yet. Plus, he just happened to be using Rhea County's colors, so I couldn't be too upset.

As he made this bracelet, he told me that it was meant to symbolize "hakuna matata," like from the Lion King. He kept repeating "Hakuna matata, don't worry, be happy" in this funny little voice. He asked my dad if he could marry me, but that's a whole other kettle of fish. When he finished, he said he would take whatever we wanted to pay for it. Dad, silly Stanley, gave him 6 euros (the equivalent of about $10 dollars at the time). I thought it was just a silly little story and forgot about it. But I never took it off.

Then I came home, and things happened, and I realized I was in serious need of some Hakuna matata. And what do you know, but I had an endless supply of it wrapped around my wrist! I guess that strange Caribbean man in Paris knew what he was talking about! So now, I am consciously keeping it on at all times as a reminder that even though I'm unemployed and single, it's okay because these things always have a natural way of working themselves out. Hakuna matata, don't worry, be happy.

Does it actually work? No, not really =)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be nice, people.