background

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Lusting after Bellarom

I am in a bit of a sticky wicket, as they say across the pond. You see, just like every other woman on the planet, I love chocolate. Particularly dark chocolate. Just a little square with my afternoon cup of coffee is all I need.

Here's the problem: I'm a chocolate snob. This is, of course, a result of living in Europe for an extended period of the time, where they take chocolate much more seriously than we do here. You can taste the love in it. When I lived in Dijon, France, my apartment was in walking distance of this little discount grocery story called Lidl. And Lidl carried their own brand of chocolate, called Bellarom. And Bellarom just happens to be the best chocolate I've ever put in my mouth. I've had some very fine, very expensive gourmet chocolate in my life, but that deluxe bar of Bellarom dark for a euro and a half is ranked number one on my list. I crave this stuff constantly.



Here's another problem: You can't get Bellarom chocolate anywhere but in Lidl stores, and Lidl stores are only in Europe!! I've been looking in every store and on every website imaginable for the past year, and I can't find it anywhere to purchase. I was an idiot and only brought one bar home with me (which my father consumed when I wasn't at home, unaware of the devastation he was causing), so I haven't tasted the heaven that is Bellarom chocolate since December of 2009......I. Am. In. Misery.

This is a call to action. If you are planning a trip to any of the following countries in the near future, please remember me. Please find a Lidl store, and bring me some happiness in a red box.

Austria
Belgium
Croatia
Czech Republic
Cyprus
Denmark
Finland
France
Germany
Greece
Hungary
Ireland
Italy
Luxembourg
Malta
Netherlands
Norway
Poland
Portugal
Romania
Slovakia
Slovenia
Spain
Sweden
Switzerland
United Kingdom

6 comments:

  1. Hei, KC I live in Finland (unlimited access to Bellaroma) and have a food import/export company. We can ship you chocolate if you want: price of the chocolate + price of the shipping (your choice of method) + 10 euros to cover our time. If you're interested, contact us on sales (at) tietavainen (dot) fi

    Gumption is a choice, not a destination :)

    Dana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much Dana! This is excellent news! I will definitely be taking advantage of your business services soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi KC,

    I've just read your piece "Lusting After Bellarom" and totally agree. From your reference to the pond, I'm guessing you live in the U.S. Why don't you have Lidl stores there? I live in England and live in an area where there are quite a few. My favourite variety is the plain bar too.

    We usually have the 40 gram bars, but also have some of the larger bars as greater variety is available in the larger sizes. Try Googling Bellarom for images. I've been eating Bellarom for around 10 years and nothing else measures up to it, although there are other chocolate bars which I enjoy.

    Hope you got some chocolate K.C. Enjoy!

    Philip Shaw
    United Kingdom

    ReplyDelete
  4. AND LIDL HAPPENS TO BE GERMAN. WE DONT BUY GERMAN PRODUCTS, UNLESS THEY CHANGE ATTITUDE AND BECOME HUMAN LIKE THE REST OF US. ONE FIRST STEP, CHANGE THEIR F*****G GOVERNMENT - SOUTH EUROPE ALLIANCE.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah! And USA is the most democratic country in the world. Not! They produce every war around the world.

      Delete
  5. I'm having a bite of it and find your article, this chocolate is really good!

    ReplyDelete

Be nice, people.